of Black and Latino Students graduate high school.
of first generation students will graduate college without help.
SFUSD students come from a household without a college degree.
There are 400 students in San Francisco that currently receive free college and career coaching through First Graduate. We make a 12-year commitment to each student, starting the summer after sixth grade through college graduation; our 16th cohort of students just became the first in their families to graduate from college!
Our students experience a rigorous five-week Summer Session through our partnership with Aim High; year-round academic instruction and tutoring; high school and college counseling; mentoring; internships; career exploration; and college application and financial aid application coaching–all through First Graduate.
We partner with the Mission Beacon Center at Everett Middle School, with James Denman Middle School, and with Leadership High School. We also work collaboratively with Aim High, Mission Graduates, ASAP, Scholar Match, Maisin Scholars, Meritus, and SEO Scholars.
In her own words
Alena, a college student at UC Merced, speaks about her experience with First Graduate and what being the first college graduate in her family means to her.
FG Program Stats
New Students Accepted in 2018
High School Graduates in 2018
Students in College in 2018
Throughout their 12 years with First Graduate, each student and their family has a coach assigned to address individual student needs. Coaching includes family home visits, monthly student meetings, parent and student conferences, and interface with teachers, administrators, counselors, and programmatic partners to stay on top of students’ academic performance. Students are evaluated every semester by our staff according to a rubric that includes attendance and school performance, measured by progress reports and final report cards.
To gauge student success, we’ve established the Student Success benchmarks toward our students’ goal of college completion:
What our students are saying:
- I really loved the teachers, they were so fun and caring. Their lessons were fascinating. I enjoyed the program this summer.9th Grader
- First Graduate is going to help me do better in school.7th Grader
- I had a great summer and didn't forget things I normally would've forgotten. I loved Career Day where I went to a REAL college campus.7th Grader
- I really love how they have good staff and peer mentors.8th Grader
- First Graduate helped me get into a great high school. They prepared me to take the entrance test...When I got accepted to the Bay School I was really happy because I didn't think I could make it, but I did.8th Grader
- Fun academic classes, I enjoyed English and STEM.8th Grader