of Black and Latino Students graduate high school.
of first generation students will graduate college without help.
SFUSD students come from a household without a college degree.
There are 400 students in San Francisco that currently receive free college and career coaching through First Graduate. We make a 12-year commitment to each student, starting the summer after sixth grade through college graduation; our 16th cohort of students just became the first in their families to graduate from college!
Our students experience a rigorous five-week Summer Session through our partnership with Aim High; year-round academic instruction and tutoring; high school and college counseling; mentoring; internships; career exploration; and college application and financial aid application coaching–all through First Graduate.
We partner with the Mission Beacon Center at Everett Middle School, with James Denman Middle School, and with Leadership High School. We also work collaboratively with Aim High, Mission Graduates, ASAP, Scholar Match, Maisin Scholars, Meritus, and SEO Scholars.
In her own words
Alena, a college student at UC Merced, speaks about her experience with First Graduate and what being the first college graduate in her family means to her.
FG Program Stats
New Students Accepted in 2018
High School Graduates in 2018
Students in College in 2018
Throughout their 12 years with First Graduate, each student and their family has a coach assigned to address individual student needs. Coaching includes family home visits, monthly student meetings, parent and student conferences, and interface with teachers, administrators, counselors, and programmatic partners to stay on top of students’ academic performance. Students are evaluated every semester by our staff according to a rubric that includes attendance and school performance, measured by progress reports and final report cards.
To gauge student success, we’ve established the Student Success benchmarks toward our students’ goal of college completion:
What our students are saying:
- Make First Graduate a school.7th Grader
- This program has helped me realize that I am capable of going to college, and the college tours helped me to start thinking about where I want to go.10th Grader
- First Graduate is going to help me do better in school.7th Grader
- First Graduate helped me get into a great high school. They prepared me to take the entrance test...When I got accepted to the Bay School I was really happy because I didn't think I could make it, but I did.8th Grader
- I want to be that person who people look up to, who people say "She went to college."KrystalCollege Student
- The best thing that happened this year at First Graduate is that I got better at math.8th Grader